Friday, October 8, 2010

Dandy Drink

I got dandelion greens (among other fun things) in my farm box on Wednesday. All I know about cooking dandelion greens is that you can boil them. And the only reason I know that is because I read it in The Autobiography of Malcolm X (his mom used to make that and only that for dinner some nights because they were so poor). Well, two things: 1. I did not boil them for dinner and 2. I didn't store them in the crisper and now they are wilty and sad...(like the rest of my garden). Soooooo. Since I've been on a green smoothie kick lately, I decided to improvise and made a....

Dandelion Pumpkin Smoothie:

1 bunch (about a handful) dandelion greens
1/2 C cooked pumpkin (or canned will do)
1/2 C frozen berries
1 banana (because a smoothie just isn't a smoothie without one)
1 T chia seeds
1 scoop protein shake mix (soy or whey protein shake mix will do.)
1-2 C hemp, soy or almond milk
some ice if you want (I like it chilled just from the berries)
oh. and I added a scoop of almond butter just for fun.

It was good.
But I just realized that the protein shake mix I used has ingredients that are derived from milk. So much for a vegan shake. Cuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment