Thursday, July 29, 2010

Just Getting Started

I'm excited about this blog because I've found a new passion (that is only rivaled by my addiction to running and cheap wine): growing stuff in my yard. (That almost sounds like "stuff" is bad...but I promise I don't have "stuff" if that's what you're looking for.)

I recently discovered that my husband can make things out of wood! The first thing he built me was the desk, pictured below, (which I am currently typing at) out of an old gate that was left behind by the previous tenants of our house. It's cute, huh? I thought you should see a picture of it. (I also painted and re-upholstered the chair...in case you were wondering: Salvation Army find: 2 for $12! But I digress...)

This desk is in front of a window that looks out over the backyard and part of my garden. Once I realized my husband could make stuff, I immediately requested two large garden boxes (and more are on the way)...so that I could start growing my own organic vegetables...and I'm hoping this carpentry gig I've set him up with will give him abs like Jesus. (I heard that in a movie and have been dying to use that line...so glad I did.)

Observe Garden Box#1: This is an older picture, but today this box has 2 fruit bearing tomato plants, 4 eggplants, 6 jalapeno pepper plants, and 1 black bell pepper plant. (And a random sprinkling of lettuce I did as an afterthought.)


This is what I want my newest blog-baby to be about:

A. Growing my own food, then cooking and eating it. I'm a good baker. Not so much a good "cooker." But that's just because I wasn't inspired by my own reapings. I'm also hoping to get good ideas from you too. Also, as problems come up with the garden, (i.e. How will I get rid of the fly problem in the yard? or Am I over-watering my tomatoes?) I will try to find ways to fix them that may help you one day...and vice versa. And last, we'll see if my gardening techniques (i.e. yelling at my seedlings to "hurry up and grow you little bitches!" or talking dirty to them) will pay off.

B. Farm Boxes. If you haven't heard of this you will soon... when I have money again in the fall (teacher on summer break=low cash flow from July-August), I'm going to sign up for a farm box from either Suzie's Farm or Sage Mountain Farm so that I can supplement my garden produce with other produce that's fresh and in season. (i.e. You should NOT be eating asparagus right now. It's not in season, so it's shipped from who-fi'ng-knows-where.) One reason people are nervous about farm boxes is because you really do get whatever is being harvested that week...so sometimes you might find yourself staring at a box full of squash blossoms, beets, hibiscus flowers, and dandelion greens wondering, "What in the bloody hell am I going to with all this?" That's what I'm here for. I'll tell you.

C. While I might be "organic" in many ways, I'm also un-organic in others. Like, happy hour. I've come to enjoy finding new places or rediscovering hole-in-the-wall joints with happy hours for fun drinks, funky fried foods in a variety of locations with good views (be it the service staff or the San Diego skyline...either way). I've recently decided to pride myself on the fact that I "know" people in San Diego and need to exploit these connections much more than I do. So I'll be giving my recommendations for restaurants, meals, drinks, happy hours, etc. I don't really need a reason to eat and drink more, but "researching" for this new blog will hopefully lessen the guilt.

Which is just another reason why I run.

Bon appetit!


2 comments:

  1. So excited for this! I will add you to my daily blog reading list. Can you come over and help me with my non-existent garden? Thanks!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to see how it goes :) Good luck

    ReplyDelete