Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cafe Madeliene, South Park

After our 8 mile run this morning, my running buddy and I ate at the newest creperie in South Park: Cafe Madeliene. I'm not a big fan of crepes because I find them dainty and flavorless most of the time--unless of course Nutella is involved--and I'm usually wishing the crepe was a tortilla instead of the limp, floppy, little thing it is. Today wasn't all that different in that regard, but as far as crepes go, Cafe Madeliene has a fun selection of unique flavors. For example I had the Poached Pear & Bleu Cheese with honey:

It was a quite tasty appetizer, and now I'm ready for a breakfast
burrito. I don't recommend crepes as a real meal, unless you like small meals. (Though not all crepes are so flat and Frenchy: the ones at the Farmer's Market are overstuffed with veggies...though they're still flavorless.)

My crepe date, who suggested both crepes and going to Madeliene's, was enticed by the Croque Monsieur (pictured here), thinking it would take her back to her days spent in Paris. She said it was "good," although it didn't use real French bread
and seemed more like something she'd make at home. Ah, c'est la vie.

The fresh squeezed orange juice was delicious and the coffee drinks are pretty (because of the glass they are served in)-- it looked like a lot of people were enjoying them. Seating is (very) limited, so try to go during a non-regular meal time (brunch hours, early or late afternoon are OK) and you shouldn't have any problem snagging a patio table or inside spot.

Cafe Madeliene
2248 30th Street (Turn right on Juniper: it's between Ivy and Juniper)
San Diego, CA 92104
619.544.1735




No comments:

Post a Comment